Advice for the Journey
from a fellow traveller
1/. Travel light.
- Always remember that you can only depend on yourself to carry your stuff. If you need
help with what you've got, reconsider what you're carrying.
- Two small bags are better than one big one. One small one is best of all.
- You may find that you need to leave where you are in a hurry. Make sure you know where
- Pick and choose beforehand, to save last-minute stress. Don't change your mind.
- Don't be afraid to leave stuff behind. Sometimes you've no choice.
- Don't carry non-essentials. If you can get it where you're going, why take it with you?
- Take something to write, in preference to something to read. And then write.
2/. Keep others in mind.
- Take care not to upset your fellow travellers without reason. This is just courtesy.
- Don't be afraid to apologise. Remember not to do it again.
- If someone upsets you, just move on. Not everyone is like that.
- If you need a hand, don't be afraid to ask. Don't be afraid to help those who ask you.
- Remember the people who help you. You might be able to help them in ways they haven't
- Take everything personally. Use it to learn.
- Don't make assumptions about the people around you. Ask questions.
3/. Keep your eyes ahead.
- If you're driving, keep your eyes on the road. If you're not, go with the flow.
- Have an idea of where you're going. If you end up somewhere else, at least you'll know.
- Get plenty of sleep whenever you can. Stay alert otherwise.
- Don't be afraid to ask for directions. Don't be afraid to dead-reckon if you have to.
- Look out for the unexpected. When it happens, get as much out of it as you can.
- Look at what's around you. Appreciate your surroundings.
- Remember you're still travelling, even during the last stages of your trip. Don't get
lost in thoughts of your destination until you're there.
4/. Drink lots of water.
- Just do it. But make sure the water's safe first.
- And eat well. You deserve it.
And Remember - you're on holiday. Enjoy yourself.
This work is ©1999 Jon Swabey. All rights reserved.