Friends Of Buchan Caves (Inc.)
[FOBC Home Page]
Two interpretation signs were installed in the main Buchan Caves Reserve on 17 June 2000 and 26 August 2000 by the Friends Of Buchan Caves. The text is reproduced here, along with a photograph showing the Friends in action.
Sssh... and listen to nature
The Spring Creek Walk
This superb walk splits into two sections which meet at the Spring Creek falls, where there is a viewing platform. The sight and sound walk is 3 kms return, taking about 1 ½ hours to complete.
A short distance along the track to the left, the rock type changes from the grey Buchan Caves Limestone to the older Snowy River Volcanics. The track then divides in two. The higher Tea-tree Track is an adventurous walk that has some steeper areas.
The lower Kanooka Track is much easier and criss-crosses the creek through remnant Riparian Rainforest vegetation. While walking along this track have a look at the mossy rocks, the beautiful ferns and the trees dominated by Kanooka Tristaniopsis laurina. Keep an eye and ear out for lyrebird scratchings, Gippsland Water Dragons sunning themselves, Kangaroos, King Parrots and other wildlife.
A Quiet Achiever
The F. J. Wilson Walk
Fredrick Wilson was appointed as the first supervisor of Buchan Caves Reserve in 1907. Before coming to Buchan he spent most of his career working at Jenolan Caves in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales. He was an active 66 years of age when he started at Buchan. Although a quiet and reserved man, Wilson played a very significant role in the original development and history of the tourist caves at Buchan. He retired in 1921 at the age of 80.
About 50 metres from here on the left side of the track you will find the entrance to the Federal Cave, an old tourist cave. It is more than 400 metres long and contains strikingly beautiful formations. In 1915, Wilson and a government employee W. H. Bonwick discovered Federal Cave by following a stream passage leading from Royal Cave. The stream flows through Fairy Cave, Royal Cave, part of Federal Cave, Dukes Cave, and finally flows into the swimming pool.
Federal Cave was opened to visitors in 1917 and was lit by a power generator until 1970, when mains power was connected to Fairy Cave and Royal Cave. Federal Cave was closed and sealed off, however in recent times has been re-opened for pre-arranged specialised cave tours.
Ian Sebire and Erica Maggs install an interpretation sign
at the start
of Spring Creek Walk. Photo: Glenn Baddeley, 17 June 2000.
[Top] [FOBC Home Page]